Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Miscellaneous
Scott County Photos
Page 1

Kingsport ] Parent ] Cemeteries ] [ Misc. ] Old Homes ] Log Homes ] Churches ] Schools ] School Groups ] Towns ] Old Stores ] Old Mills ] Mysteries ]

Click on the thumbnail for a larger image.
Use your browser's back button to return to this page.

Kinnie Wagner

wpe1.gif (96426 bytes)

CKA

David Clinton Cox

    wpe4.jpg (120397 bytes)      wpe1.jpg (143605 bytes)     Courtesy of Phyllis Peterson

It has been stated elsewhere in this book that tradition represented David Cox as being one of the very early settlers at Fort Blackmore.  Thomas  W. Carter, in a letter to Dr. Lyman C. Draper, states that "David Cox died at his home on Stony Creek, one half mile north of Fort Blackmore, about 80 years of age.  He came from North Carolina.  He came to this county about 1791 and died about the year 1820."  W. S. Cox, in a statement dictated a few hours before he died, says that the old Cox family bible failed to give the date of his birth, but gave his death as being February 28, 1820.  If Carter was correct in giving his age as being about 80 years, then he must have been born about 1748.
     Tradition represents David Cox as having been at one time a companion of Daniel Boone; that he was captured in the neighborhood of Stony Creek by the Indians; that he was carried as a captive into the North; that, after a period of from two to four years in captivity, he returned to him home on the Yadkin River, where he interested a number of persons in an attempt to make a settlement at the mouth of Stony Creek.
     In the spring of 1777, when Benge is represented as having made a visit to Fort Blackmore, it was David Cox who, it was alleged, furnished Matthew Gray with an extra rifle, with which to shoot he gobbling Indian.
     April 3, 1793, David Cox purchased 180 acres of land from Samuel Auxe.  In 1817, David Cox, James Albert and John Duncan, by paying the deliquent tax on the John Blackmore tract of land, became owners of a tax claim against it.  As an outcome of this transaction, James Albert became owner of "Blackmore's Old Fort," consisting of 300 acres.  This same tract was then sold under a deed of trust to Goldman Davidson, who in turn sold it to James S. Cox.

From "A HISTORY OF SCOTT COUNTY, VIRGINIA"
by Robert M. Addington
Privately Printed, 1932