Search billions of records on

Joyce Helen PARKER


16. Isaiah PARKER

RECORD:Hinds County, MS Marriage records.

Isaiah Parker married Dicy Calcote March 15, 1831, in Hinds County, Mississippi. Isaiah's brother, Anderson, his father, Benjamin, and Dicy's father (not named) consented to the marriage.

RECORD: Ouachita Parish, Louisiana Census - 1840
Isaiah Parker - Males 2,1,0,0,1----
1 - white male 20-30 (Isaiah, age 28)
1 - white male 5-10 (Josiah, age 5
2 - white male 0-5 (Miles, age 3; John W., infant)

Females 0,2,0,0,1,0----
1 - white female 20-30 (Dicy, age 24)
2 - white females 5-10 (Harriet, age 7 and ? )

RECORD:McManus, Jane Parker, Pioneers West of Appalachia, 1976, 1984; Page 69 (1984);

The following account of the history of Isaiah and Dicy Parker was recorded by Jane Parker McManus:

By 1840, Isaiah and Dicy Parker had moved to Ouachita Parish, LA, with his brothers, Anderson and Benjamin and their families, and their parents, Benjamin and Nancy Parker (1840 Census - Ouachita Parish, LA). According to Bienville Parish deed records, Isaiah bought 79.48 acres from Daniel Low on 15 Sep 1850, for $600.00, described as East 1/2 of NE 1/4 of Section 10, Township 16, Range 5 West. Robert A. Parker (relationship unknown) witnessed the deed. The property was sold on 22 Feb 1851, to William F. Bond of Jackson Parish for $612.10. The property was located slightly north of Driskill Mountain which is the highest point in Louisiana. After the sale of this property, Isaiah and Dicy Parker moved to Rapides Parish where he filed a new land patent.

Isaiah's children were instrumental in establishing schools and were involved in the political arena when the new parish of Vernon was founded. Isaiah taught the first school lessons in the community.

Details are sketchy about the remainder of Isaiah and Dicy's life after the Civil War started. Several of their sons enlisted and fought for the Confederacy.

Because of an incident in which the "Jayhawkers" (a band of renegades) killed two of the Parker sons, allegedly because one of the sons (Benjamin) illegally left his military unit to return home, Isaiah and his son-in-law, Elias Haymond, took the family by night to Alexandria and put them on a boat headed for Illinois. At that time the South still had control of the Mississippi river, and many people were fleeing to the North. When the boat reached Vicksburg, it was reported that Isaiah died and was buried there. Mr. Haymond and Dicy Parker along with the remaining children proceeded up the river to Cairo, Illinois. The steamboat on which they had passage was towing a small houseboat that Dicy used to put the children to sleep each night. One day her small son, Jim, overheard the officers of the boat whispering that the houseboat was leaking and they expected it to sink. Little Jim refused to sleep there that night and told his mother what he had heard. Dicy kept the children with her that night, and the boat did sink.

The Parkers and Elias Haymond remained in Cairo for about two years. During this time, Dicy, Amanda, and Mary Alice Parker died and were buried there. At the end of the war, Mr. Haymond took the remaining members of the family back to Louisiana and settled on his old place. Shortly afterward, Harriet Parker Haymond died and was buried on the old Haymond homestead. The grave was fenced with pickets.

After the war no trace of Isaiah and Dicy Parker were found.

On 13 Jan 1869 the heirs of Isaiah and Dicy Parker sold the homestead to Samuel A. Kirkpatrick. The property was described as: SW 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 36 and SE 1/4 of Section 35, Township 4, Range 6 West, and NW 1/4 of NW 1/4 of Section 1, and NE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 2, Township 3 North, Range 6 West (consisting of 160 acres).

This ended the account by Jane Parker McManus of the history of Isaiah Parker.

Because of the flight of the family to Cairo, Illinois, a search was made of Cairo, Illinois records, hoping to find some trace of the Parkers during their two-year stay. Following are some interesting but HIGHLY SPECULATIVE findings:

RECORD: City Directory for Cairo, Ill. for 1864 through 1880
RECORD: Commissioners Court Record Book 3 Dec. 1861-Nov. 1870

Shown in these city directories and court records are several Parker names, including Benjamin F. Parker and Miles W. Parker, names that sound strikingly familiar to the Louisiana Parkers. Could it be that Isaiah sent his family to stay with relatives in Cairo?

In the March 1863 commissioners court records is the following: "Monday, March 2, 1863. Ordered by the Court that M[iles]. W. Parker be allowed the sum of Eighteen & 50/100 dollars ($18.50) for groceries furnished paupers, in full as per bill". The April 1863 court record had another entry: "Monday 20th. Ordered by the court that M. W. Parker be allowed the sum of $10.00 for groceries furnished paupers as per order of overseer of the poor." Interestingly, several paupers died and were buried: In the Sept. 7 term, R. G. Jamison was allowed $10.00 for burying a pauper on Aug. 11, 1863, and P. Corcoran coroner was allowed $18.75 for holding inquest and burying a pauper. P. Corcoran was allowed $8.75 for holding inquest Aug. 31, 1863. Martin Egan was allowed $8.75 for holding inquest on dead body Aug. 11(?), 1863. R. J. Jameson was allowed $28.00 for burying pauper. R. J. Jameson $10.00 for burying pauper. Taylor & Parsons trustees & c. $7.50 for ground furnished to bury pauper. R. J. Jameson received $192 in January 1864 for burying paupers. Were these paupers refugees from the fighting in the South? Could some of them perhaps be our Louisiana Parker family?

The Miles W. Parker who fed the poor and was reimbursed by the commisioners court was apparently prominent. He was named security of the County of Alexander by the Commisioner's court on January 14, 1864., as was a Thomas J. Parker. Miles W. Parker was appointed a grand juror on Sept. 12, 1864. Richard Parker was named supervisor of roads the same day. At the June 1864 court, Thomas Parker received $7.50 for serving as a bailiff in the Circuit Court.

The 1864-65, 1866, & 1868 city directories of Cairo showed the following Parkers: Dyas T. Parker (Parker & Gibbon; later Parker & Hubbard; later Parker & Phillips), produce, auctioneer and commission merchant; M. A. Parker (widow); T. Parker & Miles. W. Parker, proprietors of Eldorado saloon; D. S. Parker, picture gallery; Benjamin F. Parker & George E. Parker (Parker & Co.), family grocery and produce store, dealers in white lead, oils, varnishes, etc.; Fannie Parker (widow); Frank Parker, pilot; Georgiana Parker; Henry Parker, Machinist; Miss Hulda Parker; Mary Parker, servant at Goodwin's Levee; Thomas J. Parker, (Parker & Hewitt), saloon & billiard room; Thomas Parker, foreman, Fox, Howard & Co.; John H. Parker.

This Miles W. Parker of Cairo, IL, had a short biography in "History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, published Chicago, 1884: "Miles W. Parker, Treasurer and Assessor of Alexander Bounty, was born June 12, 1826, near the site of the village of Sandusky, in Alexander County, Ill. His father was born about 1772, in the State of Maryland, where he grew to manhood, and married Ellen Guerten, who was also a native of same State, and was born perhaps in 1782. After a brief residence, they moved to Virginia, thence to Kentucky, and in 1818 removed from Kentucky to Illinois and settled inthe western part of Alexander County. The father died in Pulaski County, Ill, in 1833, and the mother in Alexander County in 1837. They had a family of sixteen children; of these Miles W. is the fifteenth. ..."

17. Dicy Ann CALCOTE

RECORD: 1976 Research by Jim Ashe of Clinton, MS, manuscript given to Billy H. Parker of Simpson, LA (undated), prior to 1976.

Researcher, Jim Ashe, believed Dicy to be the child of William Cade Calcoat, based on census record of 1820, Franklin Co., MS: "I imagine that Dicey Ann Calcote is the oldest daughter of William Cade calcote and Mary Ellison... I also believe that Dicey Ann was actually born in 1816. This would tie in with the marrige of Wm C. Calcote and Mary Ellison on May 4, 1815. It would probably be the first half of 1816. The 1860 census seems to support this. The 1820 census of Franklin county shows William Cade had two daughters under 10 and 1 son under 10 in 1820. The son was William Cade Calcote, junior who lived in Madison County, Mississippi in 1840. The only Mississippi Calcote who had any daughters in Dicey's age bracket in 1820 census was William Cade. His three brothers (John, James, and Stephen) are listed in the census with 4 sons for John, 4 sons for Stephen, and 3 sons and one daughter for James but the daughter of James was not Dicey Ann as his daughters were Della (Mrs David Barksdate) and Mahala (Mrs Waller Overton. Della seems to have been the eldest and Mahala the youngest. Mahala was too young to appear on the 1820 census. ..."

RECORD: Calcote Family Journey, Francis Calcote Brite, Gateway Press, Baltimore, MD, 1997, page 98.

Dicy Ann Calcote, daughter of William Cade Calcote and Mary (Ellison) was born in Franklin Co., MS in 1816. She married Isaiah Parker on 15 March 1831 in Hinds Co., MC.

18. Samuel David WILLIAMSON

RECORD: McManus, Jane Parker, Pioneers West of Appalachia, 1984 Page 177:

Following account of the history of Samuel D. Williamson is from Jane Parker McManus' book:

Samuel David Williamson was born 4 Oct. 1827 in Monroe County, Alabama. He married Ann Cato on May 17, 1850 and had four children.

On Dec. 15, 1848, Samuel D. Williamson bought property from Elijah and Matilda Ann Williamson in Monroe County, Alabama. Elijah was Samuel's older brother and was the Administrator of their father's estate.

The property was described as follows, and was filed in court on 15 Oct 1859: "SW 1/4 of Section 27, Township 7, of Range 6 and 46 Acres located in that part north of the road leading from Claiborne to Monroeville by Salem Meeting Houst on the East 1/2 of SE 1/4 of Section 28, Township 7 of range 6, for a sum of $1,153."

In 1860, Samuel and Ann Williamson were living in Burnt Corn Precinct of Monroe County, Alabama. Census records showed they owned real estate valued at $500 and a personal property estate valued at $200. They were living in town although his occupation was listed as a farmer. His neighbors were a merchant, carriage dealer, butcher, druggist, and clerk.

After the Civil War, Samuel Williamson moved his family west. When they arrived in Rapides Parish, Louisiana, Ann Williamson was too ill to continue their trip. Samuel left Ann in their wagon with the older children to seek help for his ailing wife. While he was away, Ann's condition became worse and she died soon afterward. Samuel did not have money to buy a marker for her headstone, so he rolled a large boulder to the head of her grave. That boulder remains, but erosion has left it as only a small rock. After Ann's death, Samuel remained in the community. He married a second time to Nancy Mason on Nov. 16, 1867 in a triple wedding ceremony. They had three children:

Children of Samuel and Ann (Cato) Williamson:

1. Caroline Williamson, born 13 Dec. 1850
2. Sarah Ellen Williamson, born 17 Dec. 1852
3. James C. Williamson, born 24 Oct. 1856
4. Mary Flora Williamson, born 1861

Children of Samuel and Nancy (Mason) Williamson:

1. Elijah Williamson, born 16 Mar. 1870
2. Daniel R. Williamson, born 18 Mar. 1872
3. Samuel Thomas Williamson, born 5 Jan. 1875

19. Ann CATO

RECORD: McManus, Jane Parker, Pioneers West of Appalachia, 1984 Page 177:

Ann Cato Williamson is buried in an unmarked grave in Pine Island Cemetery, Vernon Parish, LA.

20. Joseph HARVILLE

A letter written by Mildred Harville Robertson, daughter of Callie (Parker) and William Tom Harville, dated 15 July 1986, gives some of the history of the Harville family:

"Joseph Harville born in South Carolina or Georgia in 1819 - died July 27, 1898 at Simpson, La. Wife Elizabeth (Betsy) Bumpus Harville, born 1826 in Alabama -- died Aug. 8, 1898 at Simpson, La. They are both buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery at Simpson, La. The only children we know of who were born to Joseph & Betsy Harville are Nathan A. & Catherine. She was married the first time to _______ and 2nd time to Jessie Williams. She is buried at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery at Simpson, La. Nathan Alexander Harville was born Jan. 5, 1847 in Clark County, Ala. Died Feb. 22, 1925. Wife. Mary Jane (Jackson) Harville. Born Aug. 30, 1851 - died July 9, 1922. They are both buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery at Simpson, La. ... "

RECORD: Correspondence from Janice Gail Phillips, 31 Jan. 1999:

"The only source records I have on Joseph are the census and some land deeds. ... it is the 1850 Clarke Co .... Joseph is # 629. ... Joseph & Elizabeth Jackson (his 1st wife & Mary's sister), are right above Ninnion."

21. Elizabeth BUMPAS

Source for the parentage of Betsy Bumpass (Bumpers) was Janice Phillips of Wichita Falls, TX, 1999.

The name Bumpass traces back to New England to an Edward Bumpus, also written as Bonpas, Bompas, Bornpasse, and Bumpasse. The name supposedly originated in Southern France. In French the phrase "Bon Pas" means "Well done!"

Edward Bumpass was alleged to be a French Huguenot, age about 16 years old, who sailed from London in the "Good Ship Fortune", the first ship following the Mayflower to bring settlers to the New World. The ship arrived at Plymouth on November 10, 1621. Edward and his wife Hannah lived long lives and reared a large family, to establish the family name on this continent.

22. Allen W. JACKSON

RECORD: Jane Parker McManus, Pioneers West Of Appalachia; Printed 1984, Page 265:

The following history was recorded by Jane Parker McManus:

Allen W. Jackson was the youngest son of Levi Jackson and Catharine (Thompson). He was born in Georgia on December 25, 1818, and died February 28, 1890 in Louisiana. He married Mahala Harmon and they had thirteen children.

Allen and Josiah Jackson and six other families, immigrated from Conecuh County, Alabama, in the fall of 1842, traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, where they bought team, tools, milk cows. From there the families crossed the Sabine River into Texas and settled on Duck Creek at the edge of Bald Prairie in Robertson County. In the fall of 1859. Allen and Josiah then moved their families to Rapides Parish, Louisiana.

[Note by Joyce Hervey: The father of Allen and Josiah Jackson, i.e., Levi Jackson, received a headright land grant of one-third of a league of land from the Republic of Texas for his service during the Texas Revolution. Levi Jackson died by 1839 and his estate was probated, leaving as the only property his headright certificate. Allen and Josiah Jackson went to Texas to claim their father's land. Deed records and probate records of Robertson County show land transactions of Josiah and Allen W. Jackson.]

In 1861 the Civil War began and Allen W. Jackson and three of his sons joined the Southern cause. The two oldest sons were killed and were buried in Richmond, Virginia (according to John Daw Jackson, son of Allen W. Jackson).

Allen Jackson was a minister of the "Camelite" Church. He built a log cabin in the Pine Island, Louisiana, community, which was used as a church on Sunday and a school during the week.

Ollie Jackson King, granddaughter of Allen W. Jackson, provided some of the early church records, one of which contains the following reference:

"September 4th 1870: The Church of God on Caney in Rapides Parish, met with the Church at New Hope, when and where Bro. A. W. Jackson was called and set apart in gospel order to the work of Evangelist for the Church of God in all places. s/s Alford Padon, Evangelist"

RECORD: Robertson County, Texas Census - 1850; 24,25 Oct. 1850; Household 12

Allan W. Jackson, 38, m, farmer, $100, Georgia
Mahala Jackson, 26, f, Mississippi
Thomas A. Jackson, 10, m, Alabama
Joseph J. Jackson, 8, m, Alabama
Malikiah Jackson, 4, m, Alabama
Westly A. Jackson, 1, m, Alabama

Household 14
Josiah Jackson, 48, m, farmer, $150, Georgia
Elizabeth Jackson, 35, f, South Carolina
David A. Jackson, 12, m, Alabama
Jos. D. Jackson, 10, m, Alabama
Jenry J. Jackson, 6, m, Alabama
John E. Jackson, 5, m, Alabama
Esekiel Jackson, 2, m, Alabama

23. Mahala HARMON

No records of the parentage of Mahala Harmon have yet been located. Following is some general information on the Harmon name:

RECORD: The Harmon Family, 1670-1984, by Terry L. Harmon, 1984, printed by Minor's Publishing Company, Boone, North Carolina.

The Harmon name, originally Hermann, later Harman, means "man of the army". Hermann is a german name, and tradition is that all Harmons and names of variant spellings descent from Herman, a German liberator and member of the Roman Army who lived before Christ.

Several members of a Harman family arrived in Pennsylvania in the early 1700's from Germany and moved down the Shenandoah into Giles co., Virginia, where they established some of the earliest white settlements in the area and left many descendants of the Harman name. Other descendants went to Rowan Co., North Carolina and established the family name in that area.

Many of these descendants are tied together in the above referenced book, but no lineage of Mahala Harmon is contained therein.


RECORD: Joyce Parker Hervey, Just Folk, The Crowell Family Of Louisiana;; Privately Printed

James Harrison Young was born on August 19, 1840 in Morgan County, Georgia and died on February 21, 1916 in Walton County, Georgia. He was the eldest child of Moses William Young and Mary G. (Edmonds/Edmondson) Young. He was married to Mary Frances Greer on April 24, 1864 in Walton County, Georgia, by William N. Fendergrass, Justice of the Peace. Mary Frances was the daughter of Jesse Mercer Greer and Nancy Hester (Sappington). She was born on June 17, 1842 in Georgia, and died on October 15, 1918 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.

James Harrison Young served in Cobbs Legion in the Civil War.

Towards the latter part of the Nineteenth century, Mary Frances, her children, and some of her brothers moved to Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. The story has been handed down that she left him after he had killed a man and because he did not stay at home to take care of his family. James had served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and perhaps the killing took place at that time. Whatever the circumstances, he was tormented for the rest of his life because of the deed.

James and his wife were never reconciled after they separated. She remained in Louisiana and raised their younger children alone. It was a difficult task for a woman alone to farm and support a family. They grew their own vegetables, but meat was scarce. Mary Frances would cook a single slice of bacon to grease the pan for baking bread, and the children had to take turns getting to eat the piece of bacon.

James did journey to Louisiana to visit his family at least twice in his later years. The first time he came, (the Youngs lived in Claiborne Parish, near Arcadia) he walked up to the house where his son Jesse Moses lived, and no one knew him. He asked for a drink of water. When his daughter- in-law discovered who he was she invited him in and sent her son Audris down to the field to get his father. Jesse ran all the way back to the house to meet his father, whom he had not seen since he was a young boy.

On his later visit, James stayed with his family for a while. His grandchildren remembered him going to sit in the cotton house all day and sometimes all night, talking to himself about the man he had killed. At night he would kneel down by his bed and pray. Sometimes, when he was upset by something, he would not even go to the house to eat. Then his granddaughter Bertha would often take his meals to him.

Eventually James went back to Georgia, where he remained until his death. A favorite pastime in his later years was fishing. Every Sunday he went fishing until one time when he hooked something that he thought was a dead man. It scared him so badly he never went again. He died shortly after that on February 21, 1916. He was buried in the Alcovy River Baptist Church Cemetery, near Social Circle, in Walton County, Georgia.

26. Joseph Thomas PACE

RECORD: National Archives, Military Records, Conferate Records, Louisiana

Joseph T. Pace, Pvt. Co. B 12 La. Inf., enlisted Feb. 25, 1862 at Arcadia, Louisiana by Capt. Standifer. J. T. Pace was captured and paroled at Vicksburg on 4 July 1863.

RECORD: 1880 SOUNDEX LOUISIANA, Vol. 3, E.D. 14, Sheet 22, Line 8, Claiborne Parish, Ward 6:
Pace, Jos. T., White, Male, 35, born Georgia
Pace, Alabama, Wife, 20, born Lousiana
Pace, Benj., Son, 3, born Louisiana
Pace, Wm., Son, 1, born Louisiana

RECORD: 1900 SOUNDEX LOUISIANA, Vol. 10, E.D. 22, Sheet 12, Line 13, Claiborne Parish, Ward 6:
Pace, Joe T., White, 55, born May 1845, Georgia
Pace, Sarah, Wife, 45, born June 1855, Louisiana
Pace, William, Son, 21, born Oct. 1879, Louisiana
Pace, John B., Son, 16, born Aug. 1884, Louisiana
Pace, Emma, Daughter, 12, born Nov. 1888, Louisiana Pace, James, Son, 10, born Jan. 1890, Louisiana

RECORD: 1910 SOUNDEX LOUISIANA, E.D. 24 Sheet 12, Claiborne Parish Pace, Joseph T., White, 65, born Georgia
Pace, Sarah A., Wife, 55
Pace, Benjamin W., Son, 31
Pace, Emma E., Daughter, 22
Pace, Sarah T., Daughter in law, 20, born Texas
Pace, Elvin L., Grandson, 12
Pace, Willie May, Granddaughter, 9
Pace, George F., Grandson, 5
Pace, Vera G., Granddaughter, 2
Pace, James J., Grandson, 1-1/12

27. Sarah Alabama MASK

RECORD: U.S. Census - 1860 - Clairborne Parish, LA

28. Warren CROWELL

RECORD: Just Folk: The Crowell Family, Joyce Parker Hervey, 1984, Privately Printed, page 117:

Born on the 6th of December in 1855 or 1856, in Jackson Parish, Louisiana, Warren C. Crowell was the third son of Nancy Stapleton/Crowell and probably John M. Crowell. Warren and his brothers had little recollection of their father, as he died when they were all young, perhaps in the service of the Confederate Army.

Warren Crowell was fondly remembered by a granddaughter, Leola (Crowell) Young, as a "big old messer" with short chin whiskers that bobbed up and down. "We'd watch him eat, and he made it all look so good." His wife, Sarah Graham, born in Alabama about the 5th of August in 1856 (or 1857), was described somewhat less affectionately. "We were scared of her, but we loved Aunt Mandy."

Warren and Sarah Crowell began their lives together in rural Lincoln Parish Louisiana in 1876. Although they had been born miles apart, Warren in Louisiana and Sarah in Alabama, they had a common destiny. They were both part of the sturdy pioneer stock that carved homes for themselves and their families out of the rolling hills of the uplands of North Louisiana.

As Warren and Sarah began their family, Louisiana was still struggling to recover from the severe poverty that befell the people in the South as a result of the Civil War and Reconstruction. Neither of them had much, if any, schooling; free public education was not well instituted yet. Their lot in life was to struggle merely to obtain food, shelter, and clothing in order to survive.

As did most of the North Louisiana pioneers of the era, Warren farmed. For much of his life he lived and worked in the Ruston-Vienna area of Lincoln Parish. For a time, he operated a grist mill on his son-in-law (Gilmer Youngblood's) place. Towards the latter part of his life he moved to the Mount Lebanon community in Bienville Parish, where he owned at least half an acre of land, the sale of which was recorded in the Bienville Parish Courthouse in 1913.

The "Aunt Mandy" who lived with Warren and Sarah Crowell was Sarah's unmarried sister. Sarah's mother had requested as she was near death that Mandy always live with Sarah and Warren, and that is what she did. Mandy was no doubt a great help to Sarah in raising her nine children. She treated the children and grandchildren of Warren and Sarah with such kindness, that the grandchildren were all fond of her and remembered her "pattie bread" that she cooked for them.

Sarah died on the 28th of August 1927 at the age of 70 years. Mandy kept house for Warren for a time after Sarah's death, until the children became worried about what the neighbors might think of a man and woman living together unwed. Warren and Mandy were thus married in order to keep peace in the family. They moved into a little house on their son-in-law, Gilmer Youngblood's place. Warren died not long afterwards on December 30, 1931, and Mandy a few months later, on March 6, 1932 at the home of her granddaughter, Carrie Youngblood. The three nearly lifelong companions, Warren, Sarah, and Mandy, were laid to rest side by side in the cemetery at Mount Lebanon.

29. Sarah GRAHAM

RECORD: Just Folk: The Crowell Family, Joyce Parker Hervey, 1984, Privately Printed, page 231:

The family of Sarah Graham, who married Warren C. Crowell, came to Louisiana from Alabama about 1869. Descendants of this family relate this story:

When Sarah Graham was about 11 years old, her family left Alabama in a covered wagon and headed west. They had suffered the ill effects of the post-war era in Alabama and thought things might be a little better elsewhere. It was not to be, however, for when they got to "some big waters" that they could not get across immediately (believed to have been at Meridian, Mississippi), they had to set up camp and wait. A swamp fever epidemic broke out and took the lives of Sarah's father and several other family members. There was nothing to be done but to bury the dead by the trail, without adequate coffins or markers, and to continue on their journey.

By 1870, the remaining members of the Graham family had arrived in Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, where the census counted them in the household of Robert Busby. The four Graham children were Richard, born about 1856; Sarah, 1858; Manda, 1861, and William, 1864. Their mother apparently was not present in the household at the time the census was taken, but there was an elderly woman named Elizabeth Graham, perhaps a grandmother, who was born about 1802 in South Carolina, and a woman named Jane Busby and several Busby children. Also present was a young man, Cole Callaway, 24, born in Mississippi, and a young child, Margaret Callaway, age 4, presumably his daughter. His relationship to the Grahams or Busby's is not known.

By 1880, Amanda and William Graham had moved to Ward 4 of Lincoln Parish and were living with Jennie Busby, who was identified as their mother. (Had she married Robert Busby?) Also present were two younger children named Margrit and Mary Graham who were listed as her daughters. By this time Sarah had married Warren Crowell and was living close by the Grahams.

Of the above named persons who appeared on the 1870 and 1880 censuses, only Sarah, William, and Mandy's names are remembered by the present generation as being members of the Graham family, thus it is to be expected that the others either moved away from the area or died young.

30. Abraham POWELL

RECORD: Just Folk: The Crowell Family of Louisiana, Joyce Parker Hervey, 1984, privately printed, page 282:

Abraham Powell, who was sometimes called Abe Powell, was born on September 16, 1830, either in Macon County Georgia or in South Carolina (perhaps Edgefield County). His parents names and their whereabouts after 1830 are unknown. Family tradition is that Abraham's family owned land and were well off, and that Abraham was one of the youngest children. He is said to have left home when he was a young boy. Tradition also holds that in his later years, Abraham's mother wrote to him and tried to persuade him to bring his family home to visit her and to claim his inheritance. His wife encouraged him to go and to take some of the older children with him, but, since the whole family could not go, Abraham refused. He never saw his mother again and did not receive his inheritance.

The earliest known record relating to Abraham Powell is the 1850 Census of Edgefield County South Carolina. He was a young man of 20, enumerated in the household of J. R. and Caroline Eidson, whose relationship to Abe, if any, are unknown. [Caroline was the sister of Reuben Bouknight, who administered the estate of Daniel A. Mitchell, Abraham Powell's future father-in-law.]

On the 5th of April in 1858, Abraham, who was then 27 years old, married 16 year old Henrietta Louisa Mitchell, who was born in Edgefield South Carolina on July 21, 1841. Henrietta was the youngest of the nine children of Daniel Anderson Mitchell and Edna Temperance Mitchell. The Mitchell family had been a prominent family in upper South Carolina for over 70 years. Henrietta's father had died when she was less than a year old, and she was raised by her mother with help from her older brother and sisters.

Henrietta and Abraham Powell probably listened to tales that their neighbors in Edgefield County told about the flourishing town of Mount Lebanon, Louisiana, which had been established twenty years earlier by emigrants from Edgefield. They would have heard that it was famous for its healthy climate, the wealth of its inhabitants, and its fine educational institutions. Perhaps it was the thought of these finer things that enticed the newlywed couple to move to Louisiana. The move may also have been prompted by a spirit of adventure and by the prospect of finding good land at a reasonable price.

Arriving in 1859 with his new wife and his mother-in-law, Temperance Mitchell, and perhaps other relatives and friends, Abraham apparently found Mount Lebanon to his liking - it was the cultural center of Bienville Parish. The town had a population of three or four-hundred people, mostly of "good" South Carolina stock. Records of the area indicate that some of the people were related to Abe and Henrietta Powell. There was a flourishing Baptist Church; two colleges: Mount Lebanon University and Mount Lebanon Female Institute. There were three stores operating and a printing office which published a newspaper. The homes were well-built and some were fine ante-bellum plantation homes.

Abraham and his mother-in-law each bought land in Bienville Parish. In December of 1859, Abraham bought an 80 acre plot with his wife's inheritance that she received from her father's estate. The following October, in 1860, Abraham Powell and Temperance Mitchell each purchased 330 acres from the Federal Government.

Then War broke out between the North and the South, and Abraham opted to join the Confederate Army. Leaving his family, which by this time included two young sons, Elbert D., born May 1, 1859, and John J. L., born May 2, 1861, Abraham enlisted as a private in Gray's 28th Louisiana Infantry. His induction papers, signed in his own hand on the 8th of May in 1862 at Monroe, Louisiana, described him as 31 years old, with hazel eyes, black hair, dark complexion, and 5 feet 7 1/2 inches tall. He was paid $50 bounty and was enlisted for three years or the duration of the War.

The next two years brought much sorrow to the Powell family. Henrietta's mother, Temperance Mitchell and Henrietta's sister, Rebecca Almana Catherine Stone, died in 1863, and were buried at Campground cemetery near Bienville, Louisiana. On May 6, 1864, Abraham, who had been wounded, was transferred from the Confederate hospital in Shreveport, Louisiana to the Mount Lebanon Confederate Hospital, which was housed in the Mount Lebanon University buildings. Family tradition is that Abraham was wounded during the siege of Vicksburg (which ended on the Fourth of July in 1863) and spent a long time in the Veterans hospital recovering. His military papers indicated that he suffered a gunshot wound. The final blow of the fateful two years occurred on September 16, 1864, when the youngest son of Abraham and Henrietta died. George Abraham Powell, born on March 21, 1863, died at the age of about eighteen months. Abraham's participation in the war ended when he was wounded. He returned home to his family. The wound and the war experience had weakened him and he never completely recovered his health. In 1866 or 1867, after the birth of Larkin W. J., born May 11, 1866, the family moved to Sparta, about 12 miles southwest of Mount Lebanon.

Abraham sold the 80 acres he had bought with Henrietta's inheritance, and the whole section that he and his mother-in-law had purchased before the war and bought 200 acres in Ward 7 of Bienville Parish at Sparta. Sparta was the first parish seat and was located in the woods on a sand bed. It was distantly removed from the stagecoach line and from any navigable water source.

During the time they lived at Sparta, two more children were added to the family: Nancy Henrietta Victoria Powell was born on March 12, 1868, and James Hilborn Anderson Powell on September 20, 1870. The month after James was born, Abraham sold their land for $420 in gold. That ended the land transactions of Abraham in Bienville Parish.

The exact whereabouts of the family between 1870 and 1878 is not established, although census records indicate that the children born during this time to Abe and Henrietta were born in Louisiana. These children were: Sissie Powell, who was born and died on June 25, 1874; Mary Elizabeth Virginia Powell, born on June 2, 1875; and Eugene Henry Harrison Powell, born January 26, 1878.

Eight years after they apparently left Bienville Parish, Henrietta Powell purchased 80 acres of land in Grant Parish, Louisiana, which they kept for about two and a half years. According to family tradition, Abraham moved his family to Vicksburg, Mississippi about 1880, apparently after the birth of their last child Fletcher Christopher Powell, which occurred in October of 1880. Some of the children attended school at Vicksburg. Mary Powell won a gold medal for being first in her class there.

In 1887 and 1888, tragedy again struck the Powells. They lost their 21 year old son Larkin, who succumbed to a fever on February 10, 1887. Then on the 20th of July in 1888, Abraham Powell died. He is said to have been buried by the government in the City Cemetery at Vicksburg since he had been a soldier. (A letter of inquiry to the Vicksburg City Cemetery elicited the following response: "I have examined the records of the City Cemetery and find that 4 plots have been sold to parties with the last name of Powell. Records are kept on plots or lots - no individual graves. 1849 Washington Powell; 1858 Mr. Powell; 1860 Shaw & Powell; 1899 A. M. Powell. An On the ground survey of these plots and the confederate cemetery plot did not show any headstones with names mentioned in your letter. I might point out that in many cases in the late 1800's, graves were marked with wooden head markers, which have long past deteriorated.") On August 1, 1888, just 10 days after Abraham's death, 10 year old Eugene Henry died.

The family returned to Louisiana to live with John J. L. Powell. John devoted himself to helping his mother raise the younger children. He remained a bachelor all his life, but was looked to and loved like a father by his younger brothers and sisters.

Henrietta lost another son, James, on May 15, 1894. He was buried at the Campground Cemetery near Bienville, Louisiana. During the 35 years she had been in Louisiana and Mississippi Henrietta had suffered the deaths of her mother, sister, husband, and six of her ten children.

Henrietta died on November 3, 1907, at the age of 66. The story of her death has been related by her granddaughter, Leola Crowell Young, who was a small child of three and a half years at the time, but remembered the event and heard the story from her mother, Mary Powell Crowell:

"When my sister Ethel was at least a month old, we went to visit Grandma Powell. She was living with Uncle John in a little sawmill town between Ruston and Hodge, and we had not seen them in a long time. After we visited for a while, we came back home and brought Grandma with us. We were living out of Gibsland at Watson's Sawmill on Black Lake. Grandma loved squirrel, so Pappa told Mr. Watson that he was going to take a day off and go hunting for squirrel. He killed a mess of them and we had a big squirrel dinner. Grandma was sleeping in our bed, so Carrie and I slept with Mamma and Daddy. I remember Pappa jumping up and getting Mamma up, telling her Grandma was sick. She was sitting on her bed holding her side (she had forgotten to bring her medicine with her). Carrie slept but I jumped up and followed them into Grandma's room. Pappa went to get the Watsons, who lived close by, but Grandma died before he got back. She had been planning to go home the next day. We didn't have a telephone, so Pappa had to get on the train to go see Uncle John. He said he never hated to tell anybody anything as badly as he did telling Uncle John about his mother. When Pappa got off the train, he saw Uncle John standing on the scales weighing himself. When he told him Grandma was dead, Uncle John almost fell dead himself. I remember we had to take Grandma's coffin to the graveyard in a wagon."

Henrietta was buried at the Campground Cemetery, near her mother, sister, and two of her children.

31. Henrietta Louise MITCHELL

RECORD: Just Folk: The Crowell Family, Joyce Parker Hervey, 1984, Privately Printed

See Abraham Powell for details on the life of Henrietta Louisa Mitchell