Joyce P. Hervey, Just Folk: The Crowell Family,
published 1984Ó , revised 2000, for web publication
C H A P T E R V I
Henry Crowell was born in March of either 1845 or 1846 in Mississippi, and was the third son of John M. and Nancy Crowell. He moved with his parents to Louisiana by 1850.
After the War Between the States ended and his parents died, Henry moved to Arkansas, where he married his first wife, Mary E. Smith, who was born about 1855 in Arkansas. By 1880, Henry and Mary had moved to Sabine County, Texas, along with their three children, William, Mirander, and Emiley. Next door to them was the family of Henry's older brother, Martin J. Crowell.
Henry was married a second time to Laura __?__, who was about 25 years younger than he. The 1900 census showed that he had two more children: Albert, 10, and Lizzie, 8, who apparently were born to his second wife, Laura (although this is not clearly indicated on the census).
According to a distant family member, Henry had another son, Perry Stephens Crowell, who served as a minister of the Peach Tree Baptist Church of Jasper, Texas.
A marker in the Hemphill Cemetery of Sabine County, Texas, bears the name of Henry Crowell, with no dates, but with an inscription reading "Co. D 3 La, Inf. CSA". Henry's second wife, Laura, who was born 21 September 1870, and died 26 July 1957, was buried at the Mount Sinai Cemetery, also in Sabine County.
Known Children of Henry Crowell and wife Mary E. (Smith) were:
1. William H.Crowell; born 14 Oct. 1871, in AR, died 9 Feb. 1937; married Amanda Travis ca 1895. Amanda, daughter of Grace (Ener) and Hardy Travis, was born 24 Nov. 1873in TX,died 31 Jan. 1954; both buried Hemphill Cemetery, in Sabine Co., TX;
Known issue, five:
(1) Ara Crowell; born Oct. 1896, in TX.
(2) Alif Crowell; born Oct. 1896, in TX, died 1900, buried Hemphill Cemetery . (3) Ella Crowell; born Nov. 1898, in TX.
(4) Hardy Crowell; probably born after 1900, since name did not appear on the 1900 census; he was named as a child of William H. Crowell in the book, Sabine Memoirs.
(5) Edward Crowell; probably born after 1900, since name did not appear on the 1900 census; he was named as a child of William H. Crowell in the book, Sabine Memoirs.
2. Miranda Crowell; born ca 1873, in AR; married Gordon "Gordie" Leon Maund;
Known issue, two:
(1) Mattie C. Maund; married Clarence Ernest Felts, son of T. J. Felts.
(2) Nellie Maund; married "Boss" Carpenter.
3. Emily Crowell; born ca 1875, in AR.
Said to be a child of Henry Crowell:
1. Perry Stevens Crowell; minister of Peach Tree Baptist Church of Jasper, Texas.
Children of Henry Crowell and probably second wife Laura __?__:
1. Albert Crowell; born May 1890, in TX; died 1964, buried Hemphill Cemetery, Sabine County, TX.
2. Lizzie Crowell, Aug. 1891, in TX; marriedJoe Meshell.
(1) Myrtle Meshell; died 1948; married John Leone
(2) Wiley Meshell
(3) Pearl Meshell
(4) Martin Meshell
(5) Julia Meshell
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Records pertaining to Henry Crowell:
U. S. Census
1850-1860 Jackson Par., LA; see JOHN M. CROWELL
1870 ? 1880 Sabine Co., TX, e.d.85, pg 23, 2 June: HENRY CROWELL, w, m, 30, married, farm laborer, born MS, parents born MS; MARY J., w, f, 25, wife, married, born AR, parents born AR; WILLIAM, w, m, 9, son, AR; MIRANDER, w, f, 7, dau., AR; EMILEY, w, f, 5, dau., AR.
1900 Sabine Co., TX, e.d. 68, pg 12, hh 185, 26 June: HENRY CROWELL, w, m, Mar 1845, 55, married 0 yrs, born TX, parents born MS, day laborer, r/w, rents home; LAURA, wife, w, f, Sept 1874, 25, married 0 yrs, mother of 2 both living, born TX, parents born MS, r/w; ALBERT, son, w, m, May 1890, 10, TX, not r/w; LIZZIE, dau., w, f, Aug 1891, 8, TX.
1900 Sabine Co., TX, e.d. 68, hh 128: WM. CROWEL (sic), w, m, Oct. 1871, 28, married 5 yrs, born LA, parents born LA, farmer, r/w, rents farm; MANDA, wife, w, f, Nov. 1875, 26, married 5 yrs, mother of 3 all living, born TX, parents born TX, r/w; ARA, dau., w, f, Oct. 1896, 3, TX; ALIF, dau., w, f, Oct. 1896, 3, TX; ELLA, dau., w, f, Nov. 1898, 1, TX.
Index to U.S. Tract Book, NW Land Dist (Old Natchitoches Dist) in LA State Land Office at Baton Rouge, LA, Book 61, pg 97 and Book 62, pg 229.
Records copied from Indexes to Cemeteries of Sabine County Texas, author J. B. Sanders:
ALBERT CROWELL, 1890 - 1964
ALIF CROWELL, 1896 - 1900
AMANDA CROWELL, 24 Nov 1873 - 31 Jan 1954,
h. WILLIAM H. CROWELL
HENRY CROWELL, no dates, Co. D. 3 La. Inf. CSA
WILLIAM H. CROWELL, 14 Oct 1871 - 9 Feb 1937
Mt. Sinai Cemetery
LAURA CROWELL, 21 Sep 1870 - 26 Jul 1957
Sabine Memoirs, by Helen Gomer Schluter
AUDREY W. McCULLY of Hot Springs, AR, 1982
HELEN RUTH CRAIG, 1999, By email
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids