Joyce P. Hervey, Just Folk: The Crowell Family,
published 1984Ó , revised 2000, for web publication
C H A P T E R V
JOHN CROWELL (2nd)
John Crowell (2nd) was the second son of John M. and Nancy Crowell. He was born about 1844 in Mississippi and moved to Louisiana with his parents by 1850.
When the Civil War broke out, 18 year old John joined Company I 28th (Gray's) Regiment Louisiana Infantry. After the war ended and John's parents died, he married Delilah __?__, who was born about 1851 in Louisiana, and they moved to Arkansas, where they had at least five children. They took John's younger brother, Emmanuel, with them.
By 1880, John's family had settled at or near Redland in Nevada County, Arkansas.
Known children of John Crowell (2nd) and wife Delilah were:
1. Martha A. Crowell, born ca 1870, in AR.
2. Mannel B. Crowell, born ca 1875, in AR.
3. Robert V. Crowell; born ca 1877, in AR; died 1947, buried Hemphill Cemetery, Sabine Co., TX; married Joella Travis, daughter of Grace (Ener) and Hardy Travis.
4. David M. Crowell; born 1880, in AR;
Known issue, one:
(1) Mattie Crowell; married Mr. Cummings, resided Bluff City, Nevada Co., AR.
5. Sally Crowell; born after 1880, in AR., married Mr. Bradley.
Known issue, one:
(1) Vernon Bradley of Rosston, Nevada Co., AR.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Records pertaining to John Crowell (2nd):
U. S. Census
1850-1860 Jackson Par., LA.; see JOHN M. CROWELL
1880 Nevada Co., AR., e.d. 212, pg 6 (from Soundex index): JOHN CROWELL, w, m, 35, born MS; DELILAH, wife, 29, LA; MARTHA A., dau, 10, AR; MANNEL B., son, 5, AR; ROBT. V., son, 3, AR; DAVID M., son, 3/12, AR; MANNEL M., boarder, LA.
JOHN CROWELL, Pvt Co I 28th (Gray's) Regt LA Infty. Enlisted Jan 27th, 1863, Camp Bisland, LA, age 18 years.
Sabine Memoirs, by Helen Gomer Schluter
Mrs. AUDREY W. McCULLY, of Hot Springs, AR, 1982
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids